Aug 10, 2009

Repurpose unexpected materials into mini paintings

Landscape 1 3" x 2" acrylic

Here's a little painting I created last night. I had some small pieces of card stock that came out of a business card holder that I bought a few months ago, and was wondering what to do with them. I felt like trying these out for mini acrylic paintings - something I could paint quickly and keep simple and loose. I like the idea of repurposing an item that would otherwise be thrown out (or at least thrown into the recycling bin) and making a work of art in an unexpected size.

Landscape 2  3" x 2" acrylic


Roger A. Kinnunen blogged the idea of making mini paintings on on baseball dummy cards a while back, and details his process as well. So far I have worked on these paintings with the cards flat on my desk. I gesso the cards to cover the slick surface, then add an underpainting, and build up detail. I have ten cards gessoed and ready to work with for this experiment.

Both of these paintings are available for purchase through my website:
http://www.lisakretchman.com/artpages/grass_and_sky1.html
http://www.lisakretchman.com/artpages/grass_and_sky2.html

1 comment: