Sep 27, 2010

Update to the second Art Heart

Sisters heart with changes

While I am finishing up another Art Heart, I had this little change waiting on the back burner. I just had a moment to slip this into the schedule.


One of the previous Hearts was for sisters who both were born with truncus arteriosus. At the time I created their heart, I was torn on whether to include some symbolism for a third child who was not afflicted with CHD. As the painting was detailed already, I opted to focus on the CHD sisters. But after some thought, I decided to incorporate symbolism for the third sibling.

I thought perhaps she should be there, looking over them from the background. I envisioned her as a brilliant bird nested in the tree, watching over the girls. 

detail of the nesting bird

Luckily I was able to add this symbolism as another layer over the branches using pastel pencils. The paper still had enough tooth to accept more detail, and I think the bird is just conspicuous enough without overpowering the design. I will be updating my original post to show the changes as well, if you'd like to see the entire process. 

You can read more about the Art Hearts here, and you can support the charity here, if you are so inspired.

No comments:

Post a Comment